James Company began the month of October with inventory of $20,000. The following inventory transactions occurred during the month:
- The company purchased merchandise on account for $29,500 on October 12, 2018. Terms of the purchase were 2/10, n/30. James uses the net method to record purchases. The merchandise was shipped f.o.b. shipping point and freight charges of $550 were paid in cash.
- On October 31, James paid for the merchandise purchased on October 12.
- During October, merchandise costing $18,750 was sold on account for $29,000.
- It was determined that inventory on hand at the end of October cost $30,710.
1. Assuming that the James Company uses a periodic inventory system, prepare journal entries for the above transactions including the adjusting entry at the end of October to record cost of goods sold.
2. Assuming that the James Company uses a perpetual inventory system, prepare journal entries for the above transactions.