have provided you with a good sample that got high mark , plz follow it. make sure The article should be
published within the last 5 years.
Report of a pharmacokinetic journal article (20 marks)
The objective of the report is to encourage students in practicing their research skills of
accessing information from medical databases and to understand how a high-quality
pharmacokinetic study is conducted. Using a medical database such as Pubmed or Science
Direct, select one research journal article from the peer-reviewed journal list regarding a
pharmacokinetic study of medicinal compounds in cancer patients. The article should be
published within the last 5 years. After reading the article, address the following in a report in
relation to the article.
(1) State the chosen journal article in the Vancouver referencing format.
(2) What were the compounds (and the derivatives if any) under investigation? Provide a brief
description about their pharmacology, and the potential uses in medical treatments.
(3) List the objectives of the pharmacokinetic study. What can we learn from studying drugs
in the selected population?
(4) Briefly describe the study design including information about the dosage and the route of
(5) How was the drug concentration measured? Explain in terms of the sampling methods and
the analytical techniques.
(6) What programs were used in the pharmacokinetic analysis if any? What pharmacokinetic
parameters were calculated? (State the abbreviations and the full names of the parameters)
(7) Give a summary of the pharmacokinetic results. This should highlight the significance of
(8) Discuss on the quality of the journal article: e.g. were the methodology, statistics, and
result interpretation appropriate? Are there any missing information, errors or
(9) Outline the differences and challenges between conducting a pharmacokinetic study in
cancer patients as compare to a study in healthy adults.
Please observe the page limit is three pages not inclusive of references, and use font size of
10-12. Please pay special attention to sections (7 to 9). You should upload the chosen journal
article electronically via QUT Blackboard CSB442 web site (under the journal article
submission) before the due date.
An example of a journal reference written in the Vancouver style
Stanging JF, Tsolia M, Lutsar I. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of oseltamivir in
neonates, infants and children. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2013 Jun 5; 13(1):6-14.
Pubmed site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
Science Direct: http://libguides.library.qut.edu.au/databases/sd
List of peer-reviewed journals on the subject of pharmacokinetics
Biopharmaceutics and drug disposition
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Drug metabolism and disposition
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
European Journal of drug metabolism and Pharmacokinetics
Infectious Disorders – Drug Targets
Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics
Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Drug Metabolism
The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal
Others that have been approved by the unit coordinator
Read the abstract to get an overview of the study.
Marking criteria (Mark out of 20)
Report of a pharmacokinetic journal article
• Appropriate selection of a journal article, correct use of Vancouver referencing style
• All sections and questions were completed and answered fully with detailed
information from the article, and relevant to the pharmacokinetic issues addressed
• Excellent understanding of journal article
• Good English grammar and clarity of expression, use of scientific language throughout
• Professional presentation of the report, within page limit
• Submission of the copy of the journal article
The post List the objectives of the pharmacokinetic study. What can we learn from studying drugs in the selected population? appeared first on academicheroes.com.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.